Monday, March 30, 2009

Baby Shower - 3.14.09

I think this was the best baby shower I've helped plan. OK, so this one was my baby, but still. I was in charge of the invitations, cake, centerpiece for the gift table, baby shower favors, games and prizes. I chose games we hadn't played before and bought prizes that people could actually choose. :) I also bought coloring books and crayons to keep the little girls and boys entertained. Turned out all they really needed to have fun were the balloons I was going to use for the Tinkle in the Pot game.

My Godmother took care of the food (main meal and snacks) and drinks. My cousin took care of the decorations. The theme of the shower was meant to be Precious Moments, but only the invitations had that design.



I spent a fortune on the favors. My cousin went with me to pick them up and said if she had gone with me when I ordered them, she wouldn't have let me spend so much. The sales clerk told her she'd told me I was spending a lot. (Whose side is the sales clerk supposed to be on anyway?)

Actually, I guess I spent a fortune on the baby shower as a whole. I really went all out because I felt bad that no one threw her a baby shower for the twins. I know it wasn't my responsibility, but I wanted her to know she had the family's support, no matter what messed up things she did in the past. Besides, the babies aren't to blame for her missteps. So this baby shower was not only for this baby, but for the twins to.

Also, her mom is so stupid and such a pain in the ass. I know she's my aunt, but she's got some mixed up views. When my Godmother and I asked her about throwing this baby shower for her daughter, she told us not to go to any trouble and that she always saw it as the baby's father's family responsibility to do this.

Why would it fall on my cousin's mother-in-law to throw a baby shower for her own daughter?!?!?

Yes, his family should probably throw one too for their side, but how can she not think of celebrating her own daughter's impending birth. She has three daughters, so is she never going to celebrate their pregnancies. Geez, she's nuts.

So, my goal for this baby shower was also to show my aunt how it's done; how she's supposed to celebrate her daughters.

We asked my aunt if she wanted to help with the baby shower and she never agreed. So we did everything, but the day of, she arrived and tried to change things around and acted all high and mighty, but I put my foot down and put things back the way we had arranged everything. She even brought a game and prize for the baby shower, which seriously annoyed me. If she had consulted with us, it wouldn't have been a problem.

(Seriously stupid woman.)

At the end of the evening, my pregnant cousin was talking to my co-hostess cousin and said she never thought her mom would do this for her. My cousin set her straight by handing her an invite for the baby shower, which clearly stated who the hostesses were.

I still have a ton of favors left, but that's OK.

Everyone was extremely pleased with the baby shower. I heard that my aunt and my cousin's Godmother couldn't stop talking about the shower the next day; how much fun they had with the games, and everything I did for it.

My co-hostess cousin's mother-in-law (I can't stand that woman and I did not invite her. Her son did...ugh!) couldn't stop praising me. She really gets on my nerves. She's always thanking me for the baby shower I planned for my cousin and whenever I buy my nieces anything. It's like, "alright lady, can you crawl out of my ass already?!?!"

Anyway, I digress...

At the end of the night, I was tired and had a HUGE headache. Mom says I stress out too much over these things, I internalize it and my blood pressure rises. I fell fast asleep when I got home. Boy, was I relieved it was over. I planned two baby showers in a year. I think I need a break. :)


The Happy Family



The Hostesses


The Cake...er, Cupcakes


The Decorations






Baby Shower Favors



SURPRISE!!



Let's Eat!


How many M&M's in the baby bottle?


Answer? 1400. My niece Celest came the closest; within 800.


Game 1: Draw a Baby
- Each participant is given a paper plate and a crayon. They are asked to place the plate on their heads, like a hat. They are given 1 minute to draw a baby on the plate while holding it over their heads. They then write their names on the other side. Mother-to-be chooses the best drawing as the baby shower winner.


Winners of Draw a Baby game - my aunt Linda (cousin's mom) and my cousin Bertha


Game #2: Having a Baby - Baby shower attendees are split into two teams. Each person is given a balloon. When you shout "Go" Each team has their first member blow up their balloon and stuff it up their top. When they finish placing it in their top, the second and then third team member does the same until the entire team is pregnant. When the last person in the line becomes pregnant, the first person needs to give birth and pop the balloon until the whole team has popped their balloons. The quickest team "giving birth" wins.




Winning Team of Having a Baby - my cousin's Godmother, my aunt Linda, my cousin's Bertha & Amalia, my niece Jenny


Game #3 - Baby Shower Food Race
- Get all baby shower guests that want to participate in pairs of 2. Each pair gets a baby food jar, baby bottle with apple juice(or some other type of drinkable liquid - I used soda, the carbonation makes it harder to drink quickly) and a blindfold. The one person in the pair that has the jar of baby food will get blindfolded and will have to feed their partner while both sitting across from each other in chairs. When they are done with the whole jar of baby food, the person blindfolded has to drink what is in the bottle to win. The first team to do this the quickest while racing wins!



Winners of Baby Shower Food Race - my cousin's Amalia & Bertha


Game #4: Tinkle in the Pot
- Every pregnant woman is always running to the bathroom. Group participants in teams of 4 or 5. Be sure to have two quarters for each person and jars/dishes as there are teams. Place a tape strip at a starting line on the floor. Have teams line up behind the starting line. Place jars across the room from each team. Baby shower contestants must place the quarter between their knees and waddle to the jar. They must drop the quarter in the jar (tinkle in the pot). NO HANDS ALLOWED!! If the person misses or drops the quarter along the way, they must start over. Each teammate has to go twice. The first team to make all of their potty runs will win prizes.



Winning Team of Tinkle in the Pot - cousin's friend, cousins Melisa & Michelle, my Godmother, my aunt Linda


There are, of course, a ton of pics of her opening presents, but I didn't really want to go through those and post them. As it is, I only posted a couple for each of the games.

I know have to put together an album for her. I hope I can find a Precious Moments photo album. Hm, should I do an album or scrapbook. You're right, a scrapbook is more work. Photo album it is. :)

No comments: