At the groundbreaking lunch for the new VBGC building today, my yv prez told me that the board member that volunteered to go to the world conference was approved to go and we'd pay for the flight and hotel. Some of us were not too happy about the idea. Usually the yv prez goes to the conference, but she can't go and our vp and treasurer couldn't go either. I wanted to go, but didn't say anything because I wasn't sure I could get the time off. I didn't have enough vacation time saved up.
So, she asks me why I'm not going and said that she prefers I go. She makes an executive decision and says I'm going. Of course, this all hinges on my boss' approval and determining the days I could go. Plus, of course, getting a good price on a flight and if I could still get the convention hotel rate.
Unfortunately, my boss wasn't in the office when I arrived after the groundbreaking so I had to e-mail him and he's notoriously bad at answering e-mails right away.
I found a great deal on a flight, under $300 round trip. Everyone was surprised, especially since the conference is two weeks away.
I didn't even have my boss' approval yet and the board was already told I was going, my flight was booked and my hotel room reserved.
I had also e-mailed my college roommate that lives in Gary that I would be there and we've made plans. Since yv night is Saturday and the event is free and I have a room to myself, she's going to take the train into Chicago on Saturday. Hopefully, we'll be able to squeeze in some sightseeing and it won't be all stuffy conference meetings. ;)
While I'm excited to be going to Chicago, I can't help noting just how much of my life is given to yv, how easily and freely I give my time to yv. My vacation days go to attending/working events. I save up my vacation hours with certain events in mind. Yes, I could have said no today. I can say no any time I'm asked to do or go here or there, but I don't. Will I ever?
There so much politics and drama being involved with yv, it's draining. As my time as secretary winds down, I can't help thinking about making a change, maybe finding a different organization to commit to. I'm so worried that they're going to look to me to be the next prez. I may be getting ahead of myself. I may be giving myself too much credit. I don't know who will be the next prez and even though it was always my hope and intent to be the yv prez, I'm not so sure I want to do it any more.
Too much thinking. I should just enjoy the fact that I'm going to Chicago for a few days (for free!) and get to see my college roommate. Yes, that's what I'm going to do. Think about the new shot glass and postcards I'll add to my collection. :D
2 comments:
I saw on facebook that you've arrived there safely today! Can't wait to hear all about it!
Not yet. I take a red eye to arrive Thurs morning. Still stuck in LA on jury duty. I've just been finalizing plans for next week.
Sorry for the confusion. But I'll definitely write about it when I get back. :)
Post a Comment