Sunday, February 1, 2009

25 things about me

This list is circulating on Facebook. You're supposed to write 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about yourself. It took me forever to come up with the 25. I just didn't know what to write.


1. My mom says she had three only childs. There's 9 years between my older sister and I and 8 years between my little brother and I. Yes, I'm a middle child. Explains a lot, huh? My grandmother had 18 kids (twins twice! we're so scared), so my mom didn't want her kids to be on top of one another. We used to joke that she'd have another baby when my brother was 7. So glad she didn't.

2. I have three older siblings from my dad's first marriage in Mexico that I've never met or had any contact with. I'd like to meet them some day.

3. In 10th grade, I performed "If I Could" by Regina Belle for the Sophomore Talent Show. There were six acts and in the yearbook, I was the only one not pictured. I totally believe it was because of my competitive feud with the organizer of the event that was also on the yearbook staff. (I wouldn't say it was a feud. I never really knew why she didn't like me, but I carried on a mutual dislike for her because of it.)

4. My favorite music artist is Tori Amos. I began listening to her music because my crush was really into her. Little did I know I would relate to her music so much. I drove my roommate crazy listening to Tori, and yet, I still haven't seen her in concert. :(

5. I still have all my Barbie's from my childhood. I don't play with them. They're in a box on top of my closet. Someday my daughter will play with them.

6. I knew when I was 14 years old that I wanted to be a mom. As a result, I've been collecting books for my future kids since I was a teenager. I'm hoping to instill a love of reading in them. In the meantime, I'm also buying books for my nieces and Goddaugher and hope they will love to read as much as I do, even though I've been so lazy recently.

7. I live in flip flops. I hate wearing shoes, but I love shoes so much. I'm always shoe-shopping. I'll buy 2 or 3 pairs at a time. I have so many pairs of shoes; I refuse to count them though. I probably have a pair of flip flops for every regular pair of shoes I own.

8. I also LOVE handbags. For a few years, every single Christmas gift I received from my family were handbags. On Christmas Eve, I'd open up at least 5 gifts, all handbags. It became a running joke. They've thankfully stopped now. My handbag tastes have gotten too high for them, I think.

9. I'm a perfectionist workaholic. Completely anal about my data. I pride myself in my work and think it speaks for itself. I'm demanding of all that work for me, but I never demand more than I'm willing to do; since I'm willing to do all it takes, it ends up being quite a lot.

10. The first concert I ever went to was U2's Popmart Tour, June 21, 1997 at the LA Coliseum. I had to learn the names of all their albums and recite them in order on command for my sister. Sometimes she'd make me recite them backwards. I got to see them again October 29, 1997 in Minneapolis at the Metrodome.

11. I want to be a total soccer mom; completely devoted to her kids and husband.

12. Pink is not my favorite color. It's actually purple. I just happen to have a lot of pink clothes because the color looks good against my dark skin. I'm extremely picky about clothes in purple and tend not to buy many pieces, which is why I don't wear purple very much. It's still my favorite color. I can't help it if I look good in pink.

13. Don't ask me about the best Mexican restaurants. I don't pay attention when it comes to Mexican restaurants. Yes, I'll eat there, but I have the best Mexican restaurant in my kitchen and nothing beats it. And no, you can't come over, but if you're nice, I'll have mom make you some tamales at Christmas.

14. I was in love once as a teenager. You know, that sweet and innocent kind of love as only a teenager can experience. In my adult life I was almost in love once. Unfortunately, I set myself up for disappointment by setting my sights on guys that will never be able to give me what I want because I'm way beyond the "just having fun" stage; I'm ready to settle down. (Or so I think, who knows.)

15. My friend labeled me a serial crusher this week. I protest. It's been 3 months since I found out my last crush was unavailable and I hadn't been interested in anyone since then. And now that I'm crushing on someone 3 months later, I'm a serial crusher?!?!? I don't think so. Oh wait, I think I just got what she meant....nevermind.

16. My family calls me paparazzi. I take a million photos at family gatherings and have photos of my nieces from birth to now. My cousins used to joke that when the girls got older and wanted to see baby pictures, they'd send them to my house. I've always loved taking photos and I had to buy an external hard drive to store all my digital photos. My sister gave me an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax for Christmas, so I'm going through all my older photos now and scanning them.

17. I was born a month overdue. My mom had a cesarian to get me out because I was sitting up and choking on my umbilical cord. The doctors went in warning that only one of us would survive the cesarian. We both lived. When I was a baby, I stopped breathing. My mom frantically drove me to the hospital, cried and screamed for the doctors to help me even though they said there was nothing they could; I was dead. Then I started breathing again on my own. As a toddler, I had a very high fever in the hospital and again the doctors said there was nothing they could do to help me. I was put in a tub of ice to appease my mother and as she sat next to my motionless body, I patted her hand to let her know all would be ok. When I was four, after spending my entire life in and out of the hospital due to my asthma, I had a major attack that almost killed me. I remember waking up in a hospital bed days later surrounded by doctors. I never had an asthma attack after that and didn't need any medication for it. I've always felt there's a purpose to my life for surviving those four near-death experiences. I just wish I knew what it was.

18. I was named after my dad's favorite sister that died before I was born. Of course, that's only because my mom put her foot down, otherwise, my name would have been Ramona. :( I love my name, but people usually leave out the u, since I don't pronounce it in English. Or they spell my name as "Mora." Even worse. When I was 10, a boy spelled my name on a valentine card using 13 letters. :( I love the Spanish pronunciation, but unless you're a native Spanish speaker, I'm not going to let you pronounce it that way. I'm too picky about the u.

19. I always felt that if Enrique Iglesias met me, he'd know we were meant to be. Damn! that Anna Kournikova!

20. I get teased about my voice all the time. I sound like a little girl over the phone and former co-workers would speak with a lisp when imitating me because they said it sounded funnier.

21. I'm a crier. I cry during movies. I cry during tv shows. I cry reading books. I would appreciate it if my friends would stop making fun of me for being a sensitive and emotional person.

22. I just realized yesterday it's been almost 13 years since I met most of my college friends, 20 years since I've been friends with Ana (probably my longest friendship) and 25 years since I met Bertha in Mrs. Amyrauld's first grade class.

23. Most people that really know me laugh when I say I'm shy. They say I'm the farthest thing from it. It's because they've forgotten that when we first met, I never said a word. If I don't know someone very well, then I'm reserved and quiet. It takes some time for me to be really comfortable with people and open up.

24. With every year I get older and remain single, the more set in my ways I become. I'm growing increasingly selfish and cannot imagine how I'll be able to share my life with anyone. I love being independent and free to do what I want when I want. This worries me as I still want to have a family. I guess I should hurry up then. Too bad I'm completely committed to my career right now.

25. I don't have an ideal guy type. If you look back at everyone I've been interested, they possess very different traits. I like looking up at a tall guy, but I usually end up with the same height, or slightly shorter. I never thought I'd go for Latino guys, and that's exactly who I've been with. I'm strong-willed, stubborn as heck and moody. I'm the girl that doesn't need saving. So I need a guy that knows how to handle me. Knows when to let me lead, but knows when I need leading. I might not need to be saved, but I do need to feel taken care of and protected. I'm a feminist mixed in with 50's housewife. I want to be loved and cherished, but also need my own space. I fear losing myself in a relationship, and that's probably why I sabotage my personal life.

No comments: