Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Switch Hitters 2009 & WeHo Adventures

I made a status update on Facebook about going to some of the clubs in West Hollywood and one of my friends e-mailed me asking about my WeHo adventures, so instead of rewriting it, I just hit copy & paste. Any additions to the original e-mail will be in italicized in parentheses. And of course, the pics were not in the e-mail. Please note the pics are from my cell phone because I apparently forgot to charge the battery to my camera, even though, I could've sworn I did. :(

=================================================

My friend's on a softball team in a gay league and on Saturday they had a fundraiser, Switch Hitters, which is a drag show. Members from each team put on a 4 minute act and there's a panel of "celebrity" judges.

I wasn't going to go, but Mari said she wanted to go and after getting the tix and everything, she flaked. I felt bad so I went anyway. (I hadn't told Mari about the event because it was on a Saturday and she'd be back in Palmdale, but he mentioned it to her at the dinner the week before. When she said she wanted to go, I asked her repeatedly if she was sure. She said yes. The day before the event, when I called to confirm, she'd forgotten all about it. When she said she wanted to go, she forgot it was her anniversary weekend. Originally I wasn't going to go because I didn't want to go alone, but now, after he'd gotten the tix for us and was expecting us there, I didn't want to disappoint so I took the bus there.)

It was fun. A lot of good acts. My friend's team swept the competition - 1st Place, Audience Favorite and Highest Attendance. (Truthfully, I thought another team did an amazing job with Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" and thought for sure they were going to win. They didn't even place in the top 3. I was shocked.)





I also saw a former coworker that was there with his team. The weirdest thing was seeing one of my high school teachers. I didn't have him for one specific class. I think he was on another track, but he would substitute for us all the time. I so wanted to go up to him, but since I didn't actually have him for a class, it's not like I was one of his students.


(He's the little man in the back, not in drag. I know, not a good photo...oh well.)

I had every intention of going home after the show, but my friend asked me if I wanted to go with him to meet his teammates at Fiesta Cantina. His bf wasn't going because he had a bday dinner in Pasadena to go to, so I said sure.

After the show and the winners were announced, we were hanging around talking outside on the balcony. Got to meet some of his friends and what's the first thing he tells all of them - that I worked in gay porn. Everywhere we went that night, first thing out of his mouth when he introduced me was that I worked in gay porn. I made some fast friends. ;)

(Lady Gaga was there too....NOT. Just someone dressed like her. Not the only one either.)


After dinner we finally headed over to Fiesta Cantina. Man that place was packed; men, women, gay, straight, in drag and not. It was hot in there too. I was sweating...ick. (We had dinner at the French Market Place on Santa Monica Blvd. I like that place. I had the roast and he had half a tuna sandwich with a side of fruit.)

So, the bathroom situation there. There were two bathrooms - men and unisex. The men's bathroom was small and the door was wide open. The unisex bathroom was a single. You had to wait in line against the wall for the unisex bathroom and the wall was directly across from the men's bathroom. You could see directly into the men's bathroom the farther away from the unisex bathroom you were. I had a clear view of the first toilet, not urinal, toilet, and whoever was using it. Obviously, just the back views. I was tempted to discreetly take a pic with my cameraphone of my friend's teammate in drag as he peed, but I didn't. After waiting forever and day, I finally got into the unisex bathroom.

We were at Fiesta Cantina the longest. I had a conversation with one of his teammates about boob sweat. He'd been in the show and was complaining about wearing a bra and boob sweat and wearing a skirt, though that was ok because it offered easy access, but no protection as you walked around. He thanked the lord he was not a woman, mostly because of the boob sweat. I had another conversation with another guy about the Bel Ami boys as he's into the twinks and I just had to tell him about meeting Lukas Ridgestone. And then yet another conversation with another guy about urethral sounds (don't ask). They mainly wanted to know about my experiences and who I had met. Also, they wanted me to point out anyone I remembered. I was looking, believe me I was looking, but alas, no one caught my attention.

We walked down Santa Monica Blvd towards Robertson and walked by Trunks and the infamous Rage, which looked kinda tame. It was still early though. Went to The Abbey and it just looks like any other restaurant, though darker. My friend told me about seeing Britney Spears there. We walked around and then left.

We went to Motherlode, which is the oldest gay bar there, established in 1979 as it says above the door. That place was more laid back. We ran into a guy my friend dated a few years ago. He was there with another guy, which I talked to while my friend talked to his ex. My guy actually knew where SG was because his grandparents lived there before moving to a neighboring city and he still has an uncle there, but couldn't tell me which part of SG he lives in because he hasn't been back there in years. He and his uncle meet once a month in Chinatown because they love Chinese food and it's a halfway point. My friend and I then went to the back bar to get drinks. As we walked back there, he tried to remember the bartender's name, whom he also dated a few years ago. He remembered, and the bartender hooked us up with this amazing shot he created using Absolut Pear vodka and something else because the shot was red. It was so yummy!!! Couldn't even taste the alcohol. He had already served me my Midori sour when he served us the shots to take together, and then I pretty much gulped down my Midori sour and then he recommended adding vodka to the Midori sour to give it that extra punch without all the sweetness, so I ordered it. Woooooooooo...

It took me longer to drink the third drink, but it definitely had a kick so I got loopy right away. My friend and I stood at the bar looking around, listening to the music and talking. We had had an earlier discussion about our "numbers," well mostly his. He came out 5 years ago and since then he's been with 50 guys. But he's also been with women. He had sex with a chick like 5 or 6 months ago, so there's another 20 women added to his number for a total of 70 sexual partners. DAMN!

He had told me about the women the last time we had dinner. When he said it, I was like, "so you're bi?" Kinda. With women, it's just sex and he's usually drunk. I teased that he's straight when he's drunk. Like I said, just sex. No calling in the morning, no dating. It's just someone he hooks up with when he's drunk and at the clubs. Well, since he's come out. Before he came out, he had been in serious relationships with women. But not since. He finds women hot, but knows he's gay. Though, he can't stand the effeminate gays. I call him a butch gay.

He had a race in the morning, so the evening ended early. At 10pm, we left Motherlode and walked back up Santa Monica Blvd to the car. We walked by some sex shops and saw posters of Johnny Hazzard and I regaled him with my story of meeting him and getting his autograph, but he didn't know who he was. We also walked by a gallery of sorts that had Tom of Finland photographs on display and I was like, "cool," cuz I remembered.

We also walked by this place that sold only milkshakes, all different varieties, but he wouldn't let me stop, so I have to go back. (Uni - you, me and some milkshakes, huh?)

And thus, my adventures in WeHo come to an end....for now. ;)

No comments: